Wednesday, October 16, 2013
A year ago today our son and brother, William Williams, was denied inpatient detox treatment by his insurer. He arrived at the hospital with his bag packed, ready to begin treatment. He was turned away, although he had benzos and opioids in his system. He wanted help and was told "NO." A year later the insurer has still not provided us with the complete records documenting or justifying their denial of service, despite repeated requests. Four days later he accidentally overdosed, leading to cardiac arrest, six weeks in the hospital, and his eventual death. Support Shatterproof, Partnership at Drug Free, NCADD, or the Where There's A Will Fund, or any other fund of your choice, but please join us in our promise "to do everything in our power to educate and inform people about drug abuse and its prevention, to provide ever more enlightened treatment for addicts, to help make treatment options for addicts more readily available, and to remove the stain of shame surrounding this disease." This is our pledge to William. Thank you all as we continue to strive to honor it.