Thursday, January 21, 2016

Dear Senator Schumer

Next week the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold hearings on CARA - The Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act.  As we all know, things move slowly in Washington.  It is important that we all advocate for the passage of this act.  Below is a letter I wrote to Senator Schumer, one of my New York Senators and a member of the Judiciary Committee.

Dear Senator Schumer:

A little over a year ago my wife, Margot Head, and I spoke at a U.S. Senate Addiction Forum in support of CARA.  I write now to urge you to do your utmost to move that legislation through the Judiciary Committee and on towards a vote.

Having lost our son to heroin use, we are especially sensitive to the importance of CARA and any other legislation regarding Substance Use Disorder education, prevention, treatment and reform. 
I invite you to listen to our Forum presentation:  http://bit.ly/1zgE7O3

This past October I was invited by Dr. Nora Volkow to speak at a Recognition Ceremony for NIDA scientists and administrators.  You can read what I had to say at that event here:  http://bit.ly/1kpqwle

Finally, I was invited to write a guest blog on Dr. Volkow’s “Director’s Blog”.  That essay appears here:  http://1.usa.gov/1OwPNnD

I share all this with you to help you get a sense of the urgency needed in moving CARA along. Urgency that I hope you will impress upon Senate colleagues on both sides of the aisle.

If there is anything that Margot and I can do to assist you and your staff as we engage the plague of addiction, please know that we stand ready.
    
Many thanks for your kind attention to this epidemic, which feeds on silence.  Those of us who do not speak up are in some way ourselves afflicted with addiction. 

Sincerely yours –

Bill Williams

New York City   

1 comment:

  1. Great letter Bill. You are making such a difference by sharing your story. Hugs from Texas!

    ReplyDelete