Monday, October 7, 2024

From Beethoven to Looney Tunes


On a beautiful fall Catskill Saturday morning, I waited patiently outdoors with a small group at a car dealership where people who had recently purchased vehicles at the dealership were able to get car keys duplicated. For free. On a Saturday morning.  Once a month. People were relaxed and cordial even as time dragged on. I engaged in a most pleasant discussion with a gentleman who is a classical pianist. He could trace a direct line of piano teachers from his mentor to Beethoven.   

 

Our mood modulated when the group’s attention was turned to Helene and the devastation it has wrought in rural Appalachia. Speaking to any who would listen and with no apparent prompting, the lone female in the group voiced her conviction that emergency aid was not getting delivered to isolated communities.  More particularly, no government helicopters were flying in necessary aid. FEMA was a failure. Worse, private helicopters were being prevented from any form of assistance. The pianist and I asked each other where she might get this information. Silly me, I thought Republican governors were thanking the president for a swift and extensive response. 

 

No surprise, it was the fault of the Biden administration we were told, the chief offender being KA…Mala (She used the Trump bastardization of Ms. Harris’s name.). Knowing well that argument was futile, I nonetheless interjected that the proper pronunciation was Kama…la.  She looked at me, smiled, and continued. 

 

What came next was a call and response between the speaker and a veteran willing to chime in.  He wasn’t pleased at the prospect of losing his guns. She reminded him that the Constitution is “just a piece of paper. WE are the Constitution”. Even so, he didn’t think much of Trump. Trump was no friend of veterans. Surprisingly, she announced she didn’t like Trump either.  She simply would not vote in this election.  The aggrieved veteran opined that “they” are looking for one authoritarian to rule the world. That’s where we are headed. The speaker jumped all over this unification theory. Netanyahu and Don Jr. are in league for this world takeover.  Further, they are aliens, planted here for just such a takeover. Yes, I heard that right…ALIENS!   

 

The forum ended, abruptly and blessedly, when it was Cassandra’s turn to get her key duplicated. I don’t think the key man fixed loose screws. The group returned to quiet and small pleasantries. Unfortunately, the key duplicator did not have the proper piece for my key copy.  I have to come back again in a month when he reappears. I’ll be back unless I’m abducted or erased by aliens now that I’m privy to their plan.

 

I drove home to re-check what I thought were facts from the New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/06/us/hurricane-helene-north-carolina-misinformation.html?unlocked_article_code=1.QU4.s2_o.UVgATBCYgJwY&smid=url-share

 

Is that photo of helicopters in the article photoshopped?  Maybe people in western North Carolina have had helicopter sightings.  Who knows?

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment